Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Can I order a transcript or verification over the phone?
- I need a transcript ASAP! What can I do to expedite the process?
- How do I repeat a course?
- How can I change/update my address information?
- What is a "hold" ?
- I am going home for the summer and I plan to attend classes at the local junior college. How do I find out if the class(es) will transfer over to Cal Poly?
- I have just finished taking a class at another institution and I would like the course credit transferred to Cal Poly. Which department should I have the transcript sent to?
- I need to take extended time off from school. What do I need to do?
Degree Progress Questions
- When do I submit my request for graduation evaluation?
- When can I expect to receive a copy of the evaluation?
- Am I really going to graduate as planned?
- Is there anything else I need to do?
- Officially, when am I a graduate?
- Where do I order my diploma?
- When does my diploma get ordered?
- How long does it take to get my diploma?
- What if I want a different name printed on my diploma and what about a different mailing address than on my records?
- What is listed on my diploma?
- What is not listed on my diploma?
- How many diplomas am I qualified to receive?
- How do I expedite an order?
Who may Participate in Cal Poly Commencement Ceremony?
Current students can order transcripts and verifications from their student center.
Recent students (attended within the last 8 quarters) order transcripts using Parchment through their my.calpoly.edu portal. To re-establish eaccess to your my.calpoly.edu portal, contact the ITS Service Desk at 805-756-7000 to reset your password. Please visit the Transcript Request page for more information. To obtain an enrollment or degree verification, please use our Verification Request form.
Former students will complete the signed release by ordering transcripts through Parchment Secure Transcripts. Please visit the Transcript Request page for more information.
Verification letters are free of charge for all students but must include the student's signed release. Please follow the instructions provided in the Verification Request form. Verifications can also be accomplished using the "Web Verify" tool on the portal. For further information, please go to my.calpoly.edu then click on the "Personal Info" tab.
You can choose the Overnight Delivery option when ordering transcripts through Parchment.
Undergraduate students that earn C- or less may repeat up to a maximum of 16 units for one time grade forgiveness and an additional 18 units for GPA improvement. Repeat adjustments are made automatically at the end of the term in which the course is repeated. For further reqiurements and exceptions, please refer to the Office of the Registrar web page under Repeating a Course.
Current students must change/update their address information through the portal ~ go to my.calpoly.edu . The portal is available to students one year (4 terms) after their last enrolled term at Cal Poly. If you have been away from Cal Poly for more than 4 terms, mail or fax your address change request to: Cal Poly, Office of the Registrar, SLO, CA 93407 or Fax: 805-756-7237.
A 'hold' may be placed on a student's record for departmental reasons or for other unsettled university obligations. Students may be denied access to the registration system (CPReg), transcripts, use of facilities, services, materials, campus credit until all 'holds' have been cleared. To clear holds, students must contact the department responsible for placing the hold.
Students may use the my.calpoly.edu 'Registration Status Channel' to check on any holds.
I am going home for the summer and I plan to attend classes at the local community college. How do I find out if the class(es) will transfer over to Cal Poly?
- If you want to take a major or support course, check the ASSIST website for an articulation agreement between Cal Poly and the other college.
- If it's a GE course you want, go to ASSIST , and select the college you will attend. Click on "CSU GE-Breadth Certification List", select by 'Area' and match the Area Titles (not the Area #s).
- If the course or type of course or college you want to go to is not on the ASSIST list, please check with your Advising Center, major dept advisor or the Evaluations Unit of the Office of the Registrar (805-756-2396). After you have reviewed the ASSIST website and/or you know that an articulation agreement does not exist, you may obtain the appropriate course substituition form from the Office of the Registrar lobby and obtain the appropriate signatures.
I have just finished taking a class at another institution and I would like the course credit transferred to Cal Poly. Which department should I have the transcript sent to?
Please send all transcripts to:
Cal Poly State University
Admissions Office (01-206)
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
A total of eight terms of long term leave (Educational or Medical) are available to each student while attending Cal Poly. No more than two leave requests will be allowed per student. A written request by the student and approval by campus officials and/or attending medical physician are required. You may reference the Cal Poly catalog for guidelines in determining eligibility. Application forms may also be obtained from the Registrar's Office.
DEGREE PROGRESS QUESTIONS
Four quarters prior to your anticipated graduation date.
Two quarters prior to your anticipated graduation date.
Your graduation evaluation response identifies your remaining degree requirements. If you have questions regarding your evaluation, please see your advising center or academic advisor. Complete all items identified and you'll graduate!
Once you've submitted your graduation evaluation indicating the quarter you plan on graduating, the process happens automatically. You'll be on the list to graduate kept at the bookstore. This will allow you to pick up your cap and gown and order tickets for the ceremony.
When you have completed ALL degree requirements satisfactorily and have received a "Congratulations Letter" from the Office of the Registrar, Evaluations Unit. Keep your address information updated via my.calpoly.edu so that you will receive this important correspondence!
A complimentary diploma will be mailed to your listed diploma or permament address, upon completion of all degree requirements. If you'd like additional diplomas, they can be ordered through the El Corral Bookstore (Additional diploma orders call: 1-800-367-0771).
After your degree is posted, it will take approximately three weeks for delivery to your address.
Name changes and address changes for "Diplomas Only" can be done in several ways: -Complete the "Request for Graduation Evaluation" obtained from the Office of the Registrar four quarters prior to graduation. This is your initial opportunity to indicate what name you want printed on your diploma. If ordering additional diplomas, complete the "Diploma Order Form" obtained from El Corral. This is another opportunity to indicate your diploma name and/or change of address when it comes to the mailing of your diploma.
-Submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar indicating your diploma name, your social security number, and a diploma mailing address.
Update your 'DIPLOMA ADDRESS' via my.calpoly.edu (Contact the ITS Help Desk @ 805-756-7000 if you have login questions)
The degree type, major and/or majors, honors and date of degree are listed on both undergraduate and graduate diplomas. Honors are listed as follows: Bachelor's Degree: Summa cum laude -cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 3.85 or higher, Magna cum laude - cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 3.70 to 3.84, Cum laude - cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 3.50 to 3.69. Master's Degree: Graduating with Distinction Candidates who have been recommended by their college dean, having a GPA that is 3.75 or higher, and in the top 10 percent of their major. Master's Degree specializations are also printed on diplomas.
Minors are not listed on the diploma but will be noted on the student's transcript when it is completed in conjunction with a bachelor's degree. Concentration information is listed on the diploma for graduate students but not undergraduates. The concentration information will be noted on transcripts.
Bachelor's Degrees: A student may be granted a bachelor's degree with two majors with the same degree type if all requirements of both curricula are satisfied at the same time. Both majors will be recorded on the student's transcript. However, no more than one diploma or degree will be granted to a student for the same term. Adhering to CSU Directive 72-12, a student with two majors with different degree types will have to choose which major they want to have on the diploma. However, both majors and both degree types will be recorded on the student's transcript. Master's Degrees: There are certain Master's programs that award two degrees simultaneously and thus the student will receive two separate diplomas. Ask your Academic Advisor and/or the Evaluations unit if you have any questions.
To expedite an order please contact the El Corral Bookstore, Customer Service (1-800-367-0771). There will be an extra charge to you.
Spring Commencement - June: You are eligible if you complete degree requirements, or have received a graduation evaluation for Winter, Spring, or Summer terms.
Fall Commencement - December: You are eligible if you complete degree requirements, or have received a graduation evaluation for Fall term.