Cal Poly Global Site Tag

Google Tag Manager

Notice of University Departure (For Undergraduates only)

A Departure from the University is a permanent decision to leave Cal Poly. You will be discontinued and will have to reapply if you wish to return.

A Leave of Absence is a temporary leave from the university, which may be necessary during your undergraduate career. A Leave of Absence also ensures that your program of study and access to services remain active.

Do you need a Leave of Absence instead of a Departure?

  • Requesting a leave of absence communicates to the university that you will not be attending Cal Poly for more than two consecutive terms.
  • If you are withdrawing from courses in the current term, but intend to enroll in the next term, a leave of absence is not required.
  • You may elect to take a leave of absence for a variety of reasons:
    • Medical emergencies
    • Family crisis or other personal situations
    • Financial issues
    • Academic difficulties
  • You must be eligible to enroll in the term the leave begins. Two leaves with a maximum of six quarters combined are available to each student and cannot be extended beyond the limit. Summer quarters are not included when calculating the length of a leave.
  • Please visit the Office of the Registrar if a leave of absence is more applicable to your situation

If you feel Departure is still the right choice, please fill out the form below.

Student Information
Please select the contributor who is filling in student information
Academic Reason for Leaving
Personal Reason for Leaving
Financial Reason for Leaving
Medical/Psychological Reason for Leaving

Related Content