Students may withdraw from no more than 28 quarter units. The W grading symbol indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the regular add/drop period with the approval of the appropriate campus officials. It carries no adverse connotation of quality of student performance and is not used in calculating grade point averages.
Withdrawal From Individual Class(es)
- Before the end of the regular drop period, students may drop courses through Student Center. This results in no indication of class(es) on official academic record.
- Between the end of the regular add/drop period and the last day of instruction, a student must petition to withdraw. The reasons for withdrawal must be "serious and compelling/emergency."
- Students may obtain the appropriate course withdrawal form from the Office of the Registrar (01-222).
- Withdrawal after the 7th week of the term is only permitted if an emergency situation exists beyond the control of the student. Students may obtain the appropriate course withdrawal form from the Office of the Registrar (01-222).
- Any student who fails to provide notification or who fails to obtain formal approval to withdraw will be subject to failing grades (WU or F).
- Reasons for withdrawal (serious and compelling/emergency) are definable by the department approving the course withdrawal request.
It should be emphasized that poor grades, irregular attendance, or dissatisfaction with the course are not in themselves sufficient reasons for withdrawal approval.
Withdrawal From Current Term
A matriculated (registered) student whose personal circumstances require that all attendance be discontinued before the end of a term must request a withdrawal for the term. Students may visit the Office of the Registrar (01-222) to obtain the appropriate Term Withdrawal form or may contact the Office of the Registrar at 805-756-2531 for additional request submission options.
- Withdrawals based on medical disabilities require a physician's statement.
- Refer to the Student Accounts Office Refund page for information regarding refund eligibility.
- Term Withdrawals initiated prior to the 7th week of the term are for serious and compelling reasons and require approval from student's Department Head. Form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the 7th week deadline.
- Term Withdrawals initiated after the 7th week of the term are for emergency reasons and require approval from the student's Associate Dean. Form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the last day of instruction.
Withdrawal From Previous Term (Retroactive)
- Students who wish to apply for retroactive withdrawal must petition within one calendar year of the last day of the quarter in which retroactive withdrawal is being requested.
- Students do not have to be enrolled at Cal Poly at the time the applications for retroactive withdrawal are submitted.
- Students may visit the Office of the Registrar (01-222) to pick up a Retroactive Withdrawal Form. Students may visit the Office of the Registrar (01-222) to obtain the appropriate Term Withdrawal form or may contact the Office of the Registrar at 805-756-2531 for additional request submission options.
- Students may not retroactively withdraw from selected courses during a particular quarter, but must petition to withdraw from the entire quarter.
- The petition will be submitted to the Committee on Retroactive Withdrawal for discussion, evaluation and decision.